Sunday, December 15, 2013

My first entry

It's been one week and one day since we opened OpenRazor selling vintage razors and shave accessories on Etsy. We sold four razors, 2 vintage Gillettes and two straights. Thanks to our first customers; we are exceedingly grateful for their patronage. I don't really know what to expect. This won't make me a rich man. My only hope for that is the lottery and I don't play. My goal is enrichment. Selfishly for me, but perhaps for others. Presumptuous?....

We sell good quality vintage razors at fair prices. It's important to me that we keep our prices reasonable. I have not yet listed anything too expensive (only a few of the 37 listings are over $100), but do plan to list a few high end straight razors soon. I've been collecting vintage Gillette and straight razors for some time. I've shaved with most of them, and have only sold a few. I'm not a collector or a salesman. If it's anything, it's a hobby. As I get older, I feel like these razors should no longer sit dormant but should be allowed to do what they do--shave. I know that's oddly anthropomorphic, but it is a sincere feeling. I tried eBay, but did not enjoy that experience at all. Etsy seems (so far) very different; much less hectic, much more integrity. I may end up disappointed, ultimately proved wrong. It's not as if that would be a first.

My attraction to vintage razors is about the memories they evoke. Like an old song or a scent. One small trigger sparking an explosive torrent of graphic recollections. People, places, activities. If you're interested or just bored, and I know you are one or the other if you've read this far, stop by and say hello--we're always Open...I hope you do.

openrazor.etsy.com

Warm Regards, KM




No comments:

Post a Comment