Monday, December 30, 2013

These Memories Can't Wait

There are certain things people say so often, at least to certain other people, that the meaning is lost forever. I experience this with my razors. (If you think that razors are an odd thing to blog about, I agree...but that's what I do.) What I say is "But that's one of my favorites". The certain person I say this to is my wife.

I recently agreed to disperse some of my shave collection. Probably about half of it. By any standard that is a significant disbursement. About 700-800 items; mostly vintage straight, double-edge, and single-edge razors but also mugs, bowls, stands, and maybe even a strop or honing stone or two. I am doing this on Etsy through my shop, OpenRazor. We opened just a few weeks ago and I have been uploading items just about daily, but I am very slow. I am slow for several reasons. One is a difficulty in actually letting go of a razor (I am only similarly attached to some of my silverplate mugs among my non-razor stash).

In a twisted application of logic and reason, my wife thinks its most important to let go of those razors most difficult to let go of. It's a cleansing I guess, a heightened zen sense of freedom from the physical, a character building (revealing really) experience. I disagree. But I am doing it. I always planned to do it, and I have even tried before; very unsuccessfully. I think this time will succeed. Did I hear you ask why? Thought so...because I am actually enjoying myself.

What I am enjoying is the re-acquaintance that is the by-product of going through boxes and boxes of razors, some not seen for many years. Each one fills my head with memories; most pleasant, all worth remembering. It is the same as with seeing an old photograph for the first time after many years. Without doing this, I would miss these experiences. Without my Etsy shop, I would not be doing this. So there you have it.

I am glad that my wife has grown immune to "But that's one of my favorites" utterance. As David Byrne once sang, "These memories can't wait".

Warm Regards,
KM
(@Etsy)

No comments:

Post a Comment